Friday 9 May 2008

A cybercafe in the middle of nowhere…..

Yup I truly believe I have lost myself, in a land of a million souls, a million miles from civilization (which I had thought was civilization…) Over here everyone knows your name and a simple smile is as genuine as the warm morning greetings by birds chipping away at my bedroom window.
This is day 5 of my month or so in Narashwati and I’m not regretting it one bit, ok just a bit la ;)
Anyway, where do I start, lets see there are about 15 kids, 6 girls and 9 boys all aged between 5 to 15 years of age. The place is about 1 to 2 hectors easily, whereby half is allocated to the boarding school and the other half is to mangoes and ciku farming, Yes mum I am having loads of fun eating mangoes and cikues ;)
My day normally starts about 7 in the morning, thanks to the very NICE birds who really go out of their way to give me a wake-up call, no matter how much morning stares I give them! The kids normally show up at the hall, come multipurpose classroom, at 7.30 whereby Rita my partner in crime (also know as the other summer camp coordinator) starts the class with some yoga. Then around 8ish to about 9 we conduct simple warm up classes with the kids. We all then have our breakfast about 9 and classes resume at 9.30 to about 12pm. During these couple of hours we organize various activities from kite making to learning basic English. Then its lunch and then at 2pm I try to sort out some computer classes for the kids till about 3 (the reason I say try is that most days the electricity stops in the afternoons). The kids have an hour break before teakwando class start from 4 to 6. From 6 to 7 we normally sort out some outdoor activities with them before dinner at 7. The kids are normally free to do whatever they want to do after that, whereby this week has been allocated to Harry Potter dubbed in Hindi, I must say is quite cool watching ;)
I am slowly getting used to the mad afternoon heat waves and the crazy evening mosquitoes frenzies in this land where the fields are dry yet everyone is bursting with kindness and a friendly greeting.
I guess now what is left is for me to find myself….of which I am very sure by the end of my days here I will, for I realize that rather than sharing and teaching these kids, instead I am learning and remembering basic things I had forgotten a long time ago….

Ok now to reply to the few comments…yes I am trying to get more people to come along!! And the cable was for my phone which now enables me to load pictures taken by my good ol sony ericsson bira masi ;)

8 comments:

Roshni said...

HAHAHAHAHA! Okay I dunno if you noticed, but the comment about the phone cable, was by dad, not mum. Go read it again. :)

Sounds like you're have fun. Anyway, just something I'd like to share, if you have moment, go check out 'Dear Prudence' by the Beatles. I dunno if you've heard it. And 'Because' is a darn good song too.

I look forward to seeing you again. I wonder what the "found" Dev will be like. ;)

Roshni said...

*having

and I just realised how cute the smilies look! :)

Govind said...

bhai saab doing yoga in the mornings!! =P

Terv said...

weiii...pssst...that one got ah???

Unknown said...

Great blog mate, reminds me a bit of TR actually. Good that you're having a ball. We'll miss you at the BBQ this weekend... but will try an temper it with cocktails ;-)

I vote we see a pic of Dev doing yoga... who's with me!!

Govind said...

hehehe.. yeaahhhhhhhhh!! =P take care bro

Jas said...

Yeap. Count me in.

Jas said...

Dev doing yoga?!
Okay, I'm in as long as it is the in the lotus position.
You know, the one where you tangle your legs up and sit on the floor and then contort your body so that you right hand can scratch your left b......
Hm!
Than would be a sight to see.
Dev......good on you mate....glad you are having a good time.
Jeff